2015 Train Mountain Triennial

Full Version: GMRS vs. FRS Radios
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The triennial rules say that I need to carry an FRS radio tuned to channel 10 at all times. I have been looking to replace my old somewhat unreliable FRS radios with some new ones but I see that most everybody is selling the newer GMRS/FRS radios these days. From what I can find, GMRS and FRS share the 1st seven FRS channnels (1-7). This means the newer GMRS radios can access FRS channels 1-7 which, according to the rules, will be worthless to me. Are there any plans to upgrade the requirement to having GMRS radios or maybe changing the emergency FRS channel to something in the 1-7 range so that GMRS radios can be used? Finding decent FRS radios that support all the FRS channels is getting harder and harder. Does anyone have any suggestions in where to acquire a decent set of FRS-only radios (preferably with headsets)?
It is unlikely that TM would switch to GMRS radios for its primary channel because using the GMRS channels requires an FCC license.

I bought an set of Motorola GMRS/FRS radios last year, and have been quite happy with them. Just because all the new models now come capable of both GMRS and FRS doesn't mean you have to use the GMRS. The radios I bought cover all the FRS channels. Look on Amazon and you will find just about everything that is available.
Interesting. Which model did you buy? The GMRS/RFS specifications are a mess to read through and the exact specs of the hybrid GMRS/FRS radios aren't given in most of the ads. I guess I will take a chance and get one and hope it works at TM.

Thanks for the reply!!
These are what I bought on Amazon. Below is copied and pasted from the description:

Motorola MR350R 35-Mile Range 22-Channel FRS/GMRS Two-Way Radio (Pair) $50.99
Reference URL's