2015 Train Mountain Triennial

Full Version: brakes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Does train mountain have any stated policy on brake requirements for trains?

Thanks,

-M
As of this point in time, Train Mountain does NOT have a stated brake policy. For this reason we do try and enforce the 2 milepost rule as stated in our Rules of the Road document. I.E.

3. 210' MINIMUM SEPARATION BETWEEN TRAINS EQUALS TWO MILEPOST LENGTHS TO THE END OF THE NEXT TRAIN. The absence of signal blocks means that safety requires separation between Trains. A safe stopping distance must be maintained.

At the beginning of most meets this is pretty easy to do, but at the larger meets like the Triennials, this is very hard to do with everyone 'lubricating' their equipment and saturating the rails. By the end of the Tri's things get just a little slippery. Sit and watch the trains coming down into Central Station just past the flagpole sometime! It's an 'eye opener'!

If you maintain the 7 mph max speed and the 2 milepost distance, you should have a fun and safe visit.
(04-02-2015 09:36 AM)Russ Wrote: [ -> ]As of this point in time, Train Mountain does NOT have a stated brake policy. For this reason we do try and enforce the 2 milepost rule as stated in our Rules of the Road document. I.E.

3. 210' MINIMUM SEPARATION BETWEEN TRAINS EQUALS TWO MILEPOST LENGTHS TO THE END OF THE NEXT TRAIN. The absence of signal blocks means that safety requires separation between Trains. A safe stopping distance must be maintained.

At the beginning of most meets this is pretty easy to do, but at the larger meets like the Triennials, this is very hard to do with everyone 'lubricating' their equipment and saturating the rails. By the end of the Tri's things get just a little slippery. Sit and watch the trains coming down into Central Station just past the flagpole sometime! It's an 'eye opener'!

If you maintain the 7 mph max speed and the 2 milepost distance, you should have a fun and safe visit.

Thanks Russ. This question was for a friend and I think he'll be OK, but he is trying to get some basic braking going before the meet regardless. And I too have watched the ice skating show coming into the station myself. Smile

I have lots of straight air braking on my train and I'm adding a couple more cars worth before the triennial. I like brakes...
hi all , brakes are so important ,its logical , commonsense . we in nz have brakes on our loco , ride cars because we mainly carry fare paying public , up to about 2-3 tons train weight all up . some trains have air brakes , we in the tauranga club ( http://www.tmmec.org ) have vacuum failsafe .
i had an awesome time at train mountain , it certainly is "the holy grail of hobby rail" (my opinion anyway) . on one trip triple heading steam we had a break away of the two lead engines the third still coupled to the train stopped us no problem but it just goes to show how easy things can happen and on a down grade or incline it will certainly make your foofoo valve work overtime .being x nz railways loco branch im a strong advocate for failsafe in our hobby , sure , im not popular with some in our hobby but too bad , SAFETY IS PARAMOUNT FOR ALL
Reference URL's