2015 Train Mountain Triennial

Full Version: Newbie questions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello, I am registered for my very first Triennial and am very excited!!! Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin
Since this will be my first time attending Train Mountain I was wondering if there is any advice or tips regarding the best procedure for arriving, checking in, unloading, storing train when not running, getting food to eat & drink,etc...
I will be arriving on June 25 thursday afternoon and packing up June 27 late saturday. Friday the 26th will be my main riding/exploring day. On saturday after the Big Toot, will there be time to still go and ride the train around the park for a while?
I have a small train, electric powered locomotive with 2 gondola riding cars. I will be taking my batteries with me at end of day to charge off site.
For communication while driving the train, does TM provide 2-way radios? or do I need to bring my own? if so,what type of radio is needed?
For someone new to TM, what would be a good starter route to explore without getting lost in the miles of track out there?
What would be a typical procedure for starting up the train and heading out on the mainline to explore?
Any tips you all could provide would be very much appreciated.
Thanks Smile

ps, attached are a couple pics of my train and new loco I just built (CN1720)
[attachment=16]
[attachment=15]
Wow, lot's of questions.

First off when you arrive you will go through registration and pick up your registration packet. Most of your questions will be answered with what's in your packet. As far as track assignment goes, you will find that out when you are sent up to the load/unload area and that crew will inform you of where you will be parking.

Routes at Train Mountain are pretty simple actually. You leave Central Station and go on all of the track until you come back to Central Station, provided of course that at each junction you leave the switch controller GREEN. Change any of those to YELLOW and you are on your own as there are now some 19 or 20 alternate routes. You can go for rides of 30 to 45 minutes up to many hours.

In your packet will be a map showing all of the track and park.

Train Mountain uses FRS radios and cell phones. FRS covers most of the south side and cell phones cover the rest. We do NOT supply radios, they can be had a Walmart and Amazon.

We have currently contracted two food vendors for the event with others still awaiting signed contracts. There are also a couple of restaurants in the local area.

Just a reminder to everyone, there is NO loading up on Saturday until AFTER the Big Parade ends! There will be no exceptions!

BTW nice looking train ehhhh! LOL
Thank you Russ for answering my questions, all very helpful information.
I have a cell phone and will bring an FRS radio as well.
Looking forward to this!!!
Hey Russ, quick question...for loading up on saturday after the Big Parade...if I load up say after 6 or 7pm...would that work you think?
Thanks

I can't begin to tell you how excited I am to be coming to TM with my own train to share the experience of a Trienniel!!!!

here is a couple more pics of my new loco at the club:

[attachment=17]
[attachment=18]
There will be a Chairperson available at the Crisp Yard Load/Unload area that you will need to check in with before loading or unloading.

Russ
Reference URL's